I’ve Been Diagnosed With Gum Disease — What Next?
If you’ve recently been diagnosed with gum disease, you may be wondering what the next steps are for you.
In this post, we explain what gum disease is, how your dentist can help you manage it and what actions you can take at home to keep your gums and teeth healthy.
What Causes Gum Disease?
Gum disease — also known as gingivitis — is inflammation of the gums that is usually caused by an overgrowth of plaque on your teeth and bacterial infection.
You are more at risk of gum disease if:
- Your dental hygiene is inadequate.
- You are experiencing hormonal changes linked to pregnancy or menopause.
- You smoke or chew tobacco.
- You have diabetes.
- You are taking certain medications.
- You have crooked or overcrowded teeth.
- You have suppressed immunity.
Signs of Gum Disease
These are some of the typical signs of gum disease:
- Red, swollen or tender gums
- Gums that bleed when you brush or floss
- Gums that have pulled away from your teeth
- Loose teeth
- Painful or sensitive teeth
- Bad breath
How to Treat Gum Disease
If you notice any of these symptoms, you should go and see your dentist. Untreated gingivitis can lead to a more serious condition called periodontitis, which increases the risk of you losing teeth.
Fortunately, your dentist has a range of options to help treat gum disease, including:
- Deep cleaning your teeth and removing tartar (hardened plaque)
- Offering you a course of antibiotics and/or antiseptic mouthwash
- Giving you advice on dental hygiene and any lifestyle changes you may need to make — for example, cutting down on sugary foods, quitting smoking and managing health conditions like diabetes
In more severe cases, surgery may be offered to clean deep into the pockets around your teeth, graft tissue or bone to repair damage or reshape your gums and teeth.
Your Local Baulkham Hills and Dural Dentist
Another important aspect of keeping your gums and teeth healthy is to visit your dentist regularly.
Keeping up with your appointments means that your dentist can spot any issues, such as gum disease, in the early stages and offer timely treatment.
So be sure to contact the team here at Integrity Dental! We’re here to offer treatment and advice on all aspects of keeping your teeth and gums in top condition.