Baby Teething Tips
Are you looking for baby teething tips? While each of your little one’s milestones is precious, teething is perhaps one of the most challenging.
We’ve pulled together some simple tips to help you soothe your baby’s discomfort and give you some relief too!
How do I know my baby is teething?
Most babies begin teething around the age of six months. The first teeth that appear are usually the two bottom front teeth, with the two top front teeth following soon afterwards.
Around this time, you may notice that your baby:
- Drools a lot
- Enjoys chewing on objects
- Is more irritable than usual
- Has tender or inflamed gums
- Has a slight rise in temperature
Hit me with some baby teething tips!
It sounds pretty unpleasant for a baby, doesn’t it? Their general crankiness can also be a challenge for parents, so let’s find out what you can do to ease those sore gums:
- Rub your baby’s gum using a clean finger
- Offer them a chilled item such as a teething ring or spoon to chew on
- As long as they are at least six months old, you can also offer them slices of hard fruit and vegetables like apples and carrots or crusty bread to chew on. Be aware that you should never leave your baby unattended when eating
- Give them pain medication — ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice
- Distract them by play. Sometimes simply engaging with your baby will take their mind off their discomfort
What else do I need to know?
Teething can often cause your baby to dribble, making their skin sore. Wipe away saliva from their skin with a soft, clean cloth to avoid rashes and further discomfort.
As soon as you spot your child’s first tooth, start cleaning it and any subsequent teeth with a soft-bristled brush. The earlier you get your child into good habits, the easier it will be to encourage them to practise a good dental hygiene routine by themselves.
Now is also the perfect time to register your child with a dentist. You should schedule their first check-up around the time of their first birthday.
Here at Integrity Dental, we love to see our youngest patients! Get in touch today to register your child or arrange an appointment and start a lifetime of healthy teeth. We can’t wait to meet you!